<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Initial Debate Reaction 

Just thought I would get my initial reaction to the Vice Presidential debates out while its still fresh in my mind. I think it was a draw. Both sides stuck to their talking points, and I doubt that many people will be swayed by this. You either believe one guy or the other, and in many cases this debate was just an excercise in manipulating information and semantics by both sides.

One thing I'll say about the post-debate spin, on Hardball Chris Matthews said that 70%(!) of repsondents to an online poll (I think) said that they felt Edwards won. I found that shocking, and what that says to me is that the Democrats are finally getting organized and starting to get the hang of this "spin" thing. Either that, or they were the only ones watching.

And one last thing - Hardball always goes to college campuses and has the local leaders of Young Democrats and Young Republicans out there to put a mic to. These college kids are rarely given enough time to really say much, and I doubt that most of them are policy experts anyways, so they do little more than cheerlead. But just once, I'd like to see a Young Democrat respond to a Young Republican's talking points with something like "Great job sticking to the talking points! Did you think those up yourself?"

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?