<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Gift Cards: The Purest Expression of Consumerism 

As I head out to redeem my Christmas gift cards, I cannot help but note how the gift card represents the purest form of consumerism. When you recieve one, what the giver is saying is "Here, go consume $25 worth of goods at this store; I know that there will be one near you because its a chain store and thus they are evenly spaced over the metropolis every 10 miles." It is the only way to give the requisite "something" -- $25 worth of goods -- while really giving nothing -- a little piece of plastic with a pin number. Not that I am complaining. I am taking mine and heading out with a smile on my face. And I will not be back until I have Winning Eleven Soccer for my computer.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?