<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 16, 2011

BATMAN FRIDAY 

Why We Love Detective Comics
Gene Colan drawing Barbara Gordon


Gene Colan drew Detective Comics and the Batman comic books for a while in the 1980s and during that time period, I started reading the Batman books on a semi-regular basis for the first time since I had started collecting comics in 1975. I had never been much of a fan of DC comics - although I did buy every issue of The Secret Society of Super-Villains - but for some reason, starting with Detective #512 and Batman #345, I started collecting Batman's adventures.

This was the period where the continuity was pretty tight between the two books, with stories starting in Detective and concluding in Batman (or vice versa) just two weeks later. And I think I may have started buying Batman because of Gene Colan, whose work I knew from Daredevil and old issues of Iron Man.

I was looking through these old issues of Detective and Batman lately and I noticed Barbara Gordon. (Not the page shown above. I couldn't find the page I was looking at.) I didn't remember Barbara Gordon even being in these comics. (Except in the backup features in the back of Dectective. About which I plan to write more at a later date.) I didn't care too much about Batgirl, to tell the truth. Or Barbara Gordon.

But there's a lot of water gone under the bridge since then. A lot has happened to Barbara Gordon. So much has happened to Barabara that she is back to being Batgirl!

And I care about Barbara Gordon now. And I'm kind of mad at myself that I paid so little attention to her back then. And there she is, drawn by Gene Colan, and he's such an awesome artist, and still very much at the peak of his artistic powers in the 1980s that these renderings of Barbara Gordon are SWEET!

Hey there, 1980s Barbara Gordon. Long time no see. Sorry I didn't notice you the first time through. I guess I was being kind of a douche.

|
Comments:

Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?